- ☰ What to see
- Unusual places
- Pallass Iron
Back in 1749, in the remote taiga of the Novosyolovsky district, the blacksmith Yakov Medvedev and the mining foreman Johann Mettih found an unusual block weighing 687 kg. After 22 years, they showed it to the famous German and Russian scientist Peter-Simon Pallas. He sawed a block, calling it "native iron", and sent it to the Kunstkamera in St. Petersburg. And since the concept of a “meteorite” did not exist at the time of Stolby, and the scientists of that time ridiculed any possibility of any cosmic bodies falling onto the Earth, it took a little more than 20 years for the physicist and researcher Ernst Hladni to substantiate the idea of extraterrestrial origin of Pallas iron in his book in 1794.
Pallasite is an iron-nickel base interspersed with olivine crystals. You can find its samples in the Krasnoyarsk Museum of Local Lore.
Now, at the site of the Pallasovo Iron meteorite, a monument stands on the territory of the Novoselovsky and Balakhtinsky districts, on the watersheds of the Bolshoi Izhat river, the Maly Izhat river and the Uglovaya river, 4 km south of the city of Bolshoi Imir.