Outfit and Equipment for Winter Trips in Krasnoyarsk Region
Where to go for a winter trio and how to ppare for it? The first issue is simple: go to the Ergaki Nature Park or to the tops of the mountains of Argydzhek of Borus, put on snowboots on your feet to go steadily towards adventures on the white snow. Don’t you want to go far away? So, you’d better go the Krasnoyarsk Stolby National Park. There is either hiking tourism, or stolbism. You can also have aromatic sbiten and heart-to-heart conversations.
As for the second question, it is worth thinking hard of it. Frosts seriously hold their positions, and it means we have to warm ourselves. In this article the rules of winter outfit and equipment for active rest are gathered for you by the instructor of the Mountaineering Federation of Russia Vladimir Gunko.
► In any trip it’s important to take off clothes in time.
Regardless of the materials your hiking wardrobe consists of, you should remember that during vigorous exercises we produce much heat and water steam into the environment. All this steam turns into water and gathers in the clothes. As soon as the intensity falls, we stop releasing so much heat, and the wet clothes get cold. If you feel hot, it means you have to take off your warm jacket. During a stop for a bite, put on what you’ve taken off back.
► Listen to your mum’s advice.
From the scientific point of view, head plays an important role in thermoregulation of our body, since it releases much warmth. You shouldn’t ignore a hat: it’s necessary to choose it made of the materials which protect of steam well, but at the same time save warmth. For example, fleece or Polartec. If wind is forecasted, you’d better take a cap made by the Windstopper technology or its analogue. This membrane passes water steam, but is wind resistant.
Many people have heard about the layers rules, the sense of which is that each clothing layer has its irreplaceable function:
· The first layer is close to the body, it repels moisture and steam. Thermostat clothing for average activity should be chosen among those made of the materials combining wool and synthetics. Such thermostat will give warm and repel steam.
· The second layer makes the function of thermal insulation. As a rule, these are sweaters and pants made of fleece or more up-to-date analogues.
· The third layer will protect you of the elements. This is a membrane that breathes, but doesn’t pass wind and moisture. But if the weather doesn’t treat you with wet snow and hurricane wind, you’d better not to wear expensive membrane outfit.
· The upper warming layer. It is a down or synthetic jacket/trousers meant for very low temperatures. Such down jackets differ from the city down jackets with bigger amount of insulation material, light and breathing materials, massive hood which covers almost the whole head. They are easily packed into a backpack with the help of compssive cases and are taken on when you stop or at the extremal temperatures.
Before getting into the toes, the blood makes a long and difficult trip. That why they get cold quickly. And under the very extremal conditions the body decides to refuse of them at all in the favor of internal organs. To avoid it, you should choose the proper footwear. Winter tracking footwear must combine several qualities:
· Thick sole consists of the mix of several materials: dense and relief protector and a layer of EVA for warming.
· A high shaft protects your ankle from dislocations and strains.
· The heater must be made of synthetic material, for example, Primaloft.
· Water resistant membrane breathes, but doesn’t pass moisture inside.
· The boot’s size has to allow putting on two warm socks.
· For warming your legs buy gaiters – cases made of dense material and having footstraps, covering ankles. They protect the footwear from snow, dirt, water and stones getting inside.
► Hide your nose.
For protecting your face and neck during high activity it is necessary to use a balaclava scarf. This simple invention astonishes with its multifunctional options. The main thing you should remember this: a balaclava scarf can be pulled onto the nose during strong wind in order not to freeze anything, but during active movements you shouldn’t do that, as at the minus temperatures a crust of ice quickly appears.
► You can’t get your toes back.
Mittens and socks are necessary. You need to take an extra pair with you. At a very low temperature you can put on two pairs of socks on your feet and to have the third one as a reserve. The first pair is a light tracking seamless one, and the second one – thick and warm socks. These are the mittens you need in a trip, not gloves! The gloves do not allow the fingers to warm each other. The first pair is a pair of fleece mittens. Unlike the knitted ones, they dry quickly.
The second pair is a pair of warmed water resistant mitts. They must be put on the first pair. This combination will allow your hands to remain warm and dry at any weather’s caprices.
► Do not ignore the equipment.
During planning your trip think about the necessity of the equipment. For a route, not demanding special mountaineering skills, you might need snowshoes and tracking poles, which will save your time and strength. The snowshoes are necessary at the rugged terrain, including the high relief terrain. During climbing with a descend to a valley or walking on the ice the crampons snowshoes with and an alumni frame will suit.
At the low temperatures take the tracking poles with a wide foam zone at the handle for thermal insulation. You should mind that in winter the collet nut for the length regulation works badly, so it’s better to choose the poles with clips.
► And the main rule: no mountain and no rock is worth your health. But they are certainly worth spending time for choosing the proper equipment and company with which you’ll get bright emotions and memories!