The Karaulnaya cave
Perhaps one of the most unusual options for recreation in Krasnoyarsk for the whole family is a trip to the Karaulnaya cave. Today our route card is about it. Just 5 km away from the city and you are in the underworld! Moreover, the most unppared tourist and even a child from 3 years old can visit the cave.
Distance from the center of Krasnoyarsk to the starting point of the route: 21 km
Travel time by car : 1 hour 20 minutes (round trip)
Duration of the cave tour: 1 hour 10 minutes
Difficulty level: •• (Easy)
What to do?
● Find yourself in the underworld
● Feel as bats
● See underground clay sculptures and rock paintings
● Visit the cave halls Ocharovanie, Ledovy, Glinyany and Kapelny
● Forget about time
● Make sure that the cave is a living organism
● Hear the White Speleologist
● Introduce children to speleology in a fun way
● Take a photo on a wooden throne
● Have a picnic with friends in the gazebo (prior reservation required)
● Look at the homeland of Astafiev from an unusual angle
Where to have a snack?
Forest cafe next to the cave: delicious taiga tea, sandwiches and bottled water
Grocery store at No 12 bus terminus, where you can buy water or a snack
Picnic gazebos (should be booked in advance)
What to take with you?
- Portable charger (Power Bank)
- Repellent for ticks, for example, aerosol "Reftamid Antiklesch Extra" (in summer)
- Drinking water (there is a steep climb and no shops on the way to the cave)
- Flashlight (headlamp is more convenient) and batteries for it (or rent near the cave). It will be more interesting to consider underground beauties with it.
- Thermos with tea and sandwiches
How to dress?
The temperature in the cave is +4℃ and high humidity all year round, therefore:
- In the summer, take a jacket, hat, gloves, sweatpants, sneakers, warm socks with you;
- In winter, do not forget to change your jacket, gloves, sweatpants and shoes - it is easy to stain new or light-colored items;
- Trekking shoes with non-slip soles;
- The organizers provide a special suit for rent;
- You can change at the guest house by the cave
How to get there?
Option number 1: car
Type in the city map "2GIS" in the search engine "Cave Karaulnaya-2" and click on the icon "let's go". The route goes to the village Izvestkovy. But it is more convenient to leave the route: before reaching the village Izvestkovy, there is a branch of the road to the right with a sign "Na Karaulnaya Pesheru". Turn right and go to a dead end with a parking lot. Further - ascent on foot along the high stairs and signs.
You can also use Google maps and type in the search engine Cave "Karaulnaya 2". You reach the parking lot marked as "For those who could get here", then walk up the high stairs and signs.
If you do not use a navigator: on the st. Academica Kirensky or ave. Svobodny go to st. Lesnaya, drive past Udachny and continue along the st. Lesnaya. Before reaching the village Izvestkovy there is a branch of the road to the right with a sign "Na Karaulnaya Pesheru". Turn right and go to a dead end with a parking lot. Further - ascent on foot along the high stairs and signs.
Option number 2: bus
You need to move from the city center to the terminus of the bus No 12 "Udachny" - the travel time is approximately 45 minutes. Continue walking along the st. Lesnaya for 4.5 km and 1 hour 30 minutes, using Google maps (in the search engine type Cave "Karaulnaya 2"). Before reaching the village Izvestkovy there is a branch of the road to the right with a sign "Na Karaulnaya Pesheru". Turn right and go to a dead end with a parking lot. Then go up the high stairs and follow the signs.
Option number 3: taxi
A trip from the center of Krasnoyarsk will cost you about 500 rubles one way. We advise you to give the driver the route described in option 1.
From the main road to the parking lot - 200 meters. The parking is not guarded. In winter, only all-wheel drive vehicles can reach the parking lot. Parking in front of the Krutenkaya hill is better in winter for cars. Then you need to walk for about 2 km.
How to get to the Karaulnaya Cave?
15 minutes after climbing the high stairs you see gazebos, swings and a gorgeous view of the village Ovsyanka. Here you can relax, have a bite to eat, rent the necessary equipment and continue your way along the eco path to the cave itself.
- In winter, it is better to avoid extremely low air temperatures, and in summer go in dry weather.
- Take your children with you, they will be delighted!
- In the cave itself, there may be no signal and Internet
- Be careful: the walls should not be touched by hands - they are subject to destruction due to changes in the microclimate