Yeniseysk is a small town in the Krasnoyarsk Territory, known for its rich history and cultural and historical heritage. The city is located on the Yenisei River, 348 kilometers from the capital of the region. The area of the settlement is 66.4 square kilometers, and the number is 18,000 people.
The first settlement on the site of a modern city was founded in 1619, due to its favorable location, Yeniseisk became one of the centers of Eastern Siberia. At the end of the 17th century, the main activity of the inhabitants was fishing and fur trade, and the number of citizens was 3 thousand people. At the beginning of the 18th century, Yeniseysk was transformed into a county town, after which its heyday began. Until the second half of the 19th century, here trade was in full swing, large-scale gold mining was conducted. But by the 1860s, there was no gold, in 1869 there were 3 devastating fires in the city, and in the spring of 1870 Yeniseisk was flooded due to ice drifts on the Yenisei and the Angara. Disasters caused irreparable damage to the city’s economy. Towards the end of the 19th century, the Trans-Siberian Railway was led through Krasnoyarsk and Yeniseysk finally lost its position.
Now Yeniseisk is a real "open-air museum", striking with its historical architecture and ancient heritage sites that have survived to this day.
What to see:
► Uspensky Cathedral - the oldest church of the Yenisei diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church and an interesting religious building in the Siberian Baroque style.
► Museum "Photoizba" - the museum contains interesting photographs, books, household items from the inhabitants of the Siberian city.
► Church on Monastery Lake - the lake near the temple is recognized as a natural monument. It is noteworthy that goldfish is found in this lake and the water has a reddish tint due to the large amount of iron.
► Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy Monastery is a small but impssive monastery of the Yenisei Diocese.
► Museum "Rubanki" - is one of the youngest private museums in Yeniseisk. It was created on the personal initiative of a resident of the city, Vitaliy Alekseevich Islentyev, who since 2008 has been acquiring and personally restoring wood planes from different cities of Russia and abroad, in 2013 his collection hit the Guinness Book of Records
Photo by Alexander Schetinin.