The old building of the Znamensky Glass Factory
In the Pamyati 13 Bortsov village, in
the Yemelyanovsky district, there is a very interesting place - the old
building of the Znamensky glass factory. By the way, the village had its
current name only in 1920, before that the village was called Znamensky Zavod
(factory) or Znamensky Steklo Zavod (glass factory), because the village owes
its birth to a glass factory. Today the factory is in ruins, but there is so
much beautiful glass in there! .
In 1823, Anna Konovalova applied to the
Governor-General of Eastern Siberia for permission to establish a glass factory
45 miles away from Krasnoyarsk on the left bank of the Kacha River. The actual
owner of the plant was the son of Anna Konovalova, Ivan Ivanovich Konovalov -
an official of the Yenisei provincial government, a collegiate adviser, a
knight of the Order of St. Anna, a participant in the Patriotic War of 1812.
Having received an inheritance from his
mother in 1833, in the same year, as legends say, the sign of the Holy Mother
of God appeared to Ivan Konovalov in a dream. On this occasion, with a large
crowd of people, a prayer service was served, and since then the plant was
called the Konovalov Znamensky glass-making factory. Soon a church was built at
the glass factory, the decoration of which amazed with its splendor the
peasants of the surrounding villages. There was an icon of the Sign of the Holy
Mother of God in a prominent place, which was worshiped by the faithful and
which was subsequently transported throughout the province.
Thanks to the glass factory, glass
replaced mica and bubbles on windows in the surrounding villages and cities. In
1853, Konovalov built a faience factory at the plant, which produced dishes,
plates, bowls, cups, sinks, sauce bowls, etc.
It is interesting that Konovalov had
serfs, while in Siberia there was practically no serfdom. After the abolition
of serfdom, Polish exiles became the main labor force.