Yeniseysk

Yeniseysk is located on the left, low bank of the Yenisei, below the confluence of the Angara, 348 km from Krasnoyarsk. Yeniseysk was founded as a prison in 1619 and, thanks to its advantageous geographical position, quickly became the economic center of Eastern Siberia. Until the second half of the 19th century, trade was in full swing, large-scale gold mining was conducted. But by the 1860s, there was no gold, in 1869 there were 3 devastating fires in the town, and in the spring of 1870 Yeniseysk was flooded due to ice drifts on the Yenisei and the Angara. Disasters caused irreparable damage to the town’s economy. Towards the end of the 19th century, the Trans-Siberian Railway was led through Krasnoyarsk and Yeniseysk finally lost its position. Now in Yeniseysk there are more than one hundred monuments of history, culture, architecture. Many of them have been restored to the 400th anniversary of the town. In 1970, Yeniseysk was included in the list of 116 city-monuments of Russia. About 18,000 people live here. Also read: ► Where to live in Yeniseysk ► About the highway Krasnoyarsk-Yeniseysk Photo: Vitaly Ivanov and Diana Serebrennikova


Write us